Wednesday, December 5, 2007

WRITING AUTHORS BOOKS

WRITERS

I am a writer and most interested in other writers, their success, habits, writing style, personal lives. The following interesting bits are taken from Chicken Soup for the Writer’s Soul by Jack Canfield; Mark Victor Hansen and Bud Gardner

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. -Ernest Hemmingway

When you write from the heart, you not only light the dark path of your readers, you light your own way as well.-Marjorie Holmes

When I face the desolate impossibility of writing 300 pages, a sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it. Then gradually, I write one page and then another. One day’s work is all I can permit myself to contemplate. -John Steinbeck

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until little drops of blood form on your forehead. -Gene Fowler

All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

I can’t write a book commensurate with Shakespeare, but I can write a book by me. -Sir Walter Raleigh

"An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come." -Victor Hugo

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal idea’s from many is research." -Anonymous

You have to do it from inside yourself, there isn't any trick.-Ernest Hemingway, b. 1899

You are the prism, gathering the white light of experience, and in turn throwing your spectrum onto the page.-Ray Bradbury, b.1920

Writing is so difficult that I often feel that writers, having had their hell on earth, will escape all punishment hereafter. -Jessamyn West, b. 1907

I think if you write long enough, you will be a healthy person. That is, if you write what you need to write, as opposed to what will make money or will make fame. -Alice Walker

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.-André Gide

If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed.
-Stanley Kubrick

A novelist's vice usually resembles his virtue, for what he does best he also tends to do to excess. -John Irving, b.1942

No comments: